The No. 1 IndyBest Celebrity Cookbook for 2017Packed with over 650 everyday Mary Berry recipes, this is the biggest ever...
four 10 x 18 in. sheets of filo dough
4 tbsp butter, melted
½ cup fresh white bread crumbs
3 tbsp sliced almonds
confectioners' sugar for dusting
1 ½ lb. tart apples, quartered, cored, peeled, and sliced
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp light brown sugar
½ tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ cup golden raisins
½ cup blanched almonds, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Make the filling: mix together the apples, lemon zest and juice, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, golden raisins, and almonds.
2. Lightly brush 1 sheet of filo dough with melted butter. Cover with the remaining sheets, brushing each with butter. Add the filling and finish the strudel (see below).
3. Brush the strudel with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake for 40–45 minutes until the dough is crisp and golden. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or cold.
1. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the dough. Spoon the apple mixture along the middle of the dough.
2. Fold the dough to enclose the filling, turn over onto a baking sheet, and bend into a horseshoe shape.