Discover your next read with this carefully curated list from We Need Diverse Books.
Check out 100 must-read books to try before you're 12! Packed with reviews, recommendations, and exclusive author interviews, The Reading Adventure: 100 Books To Check Out Before You're 12 will inspire young readers to discover a diverse range of books beyond the curriculum.
From mystery to autobiography, the book is organised by genre, so you can jump to the section that interests you the most. Each entry has a key theme box so you can immediately see if the book is something you'll enjoy. Helpful signposts lead readers to another book the author thinks they'll enjoy. Hidden gems, award-winners, classics, and current bestsellers are brought to life by vibrant illustrations. There's truly something for everyone!
Vibrant and educational, you can explore:
- 15 exclusive author interviews, including Jason Reynolds, Meg Medina and Linda Sue Park
- Organized by genre and theme, so the reader can find a book based on their interests
- Discover 100 book recommendations aimed at 7-12 year olds with vibrant and fun illustrations
- Running categories organized by interest and theme
- Endmatter includes writing activities, and an index
- Bold original illustrations by a range of artists bring the books to life
Developed in collaboration with We Need Diverse Books - a non-profit with a mission to create a world where everyone can find themselves in the pages of a book - young readers can explore a variety of awe-inspiring and thought-provoking books, with titles including: High Rise Mystery by Sharna Jackson, A Kind of Spark, by Elle McNicoll, From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg, Front Desk by Kelly Yang, and many more.
Ideal for caregivers and gift givers of both voracious and reluctant readers within the 7-12 age group, as well as caregivers of neurodivergent children, children with a disability, and children of color seeking greater representation in literature.