""Should one attempt a complete front-to-back reading, the result would be a thorough grounding in Shakespeare's work and an enlarged astonishment at the range of his imagination." (Previous Edition, 2004)"
A comprehensive life and works book of a literary great - William Shakespeare!
The beautifully illustrated guide unravels the life and works of Shakespeare from language, history and themes to plays, poems and sonnets. Explore the art of this famous playwright and his enduring legacy through the stunning gift format.
Celebrate one of the theater's most influential contributors through his legendary works of comedy, tragedy, romance and poetry. Inside the playbook, you'll find:
- Clear an accessible format.
- Plot summaries of all of 39 plays with lists of characters.
- Guidance on how to read and interpret his great sonnets and narrative poems.
- Plays ordered by time and genre, helping readers to trace the development of Shakespeare's topics, themes and artistry.
- Sidebars that clarify the mythological, geographical and historical context of each play and decode its language, dramatic action and themes.
- Illuminated guidance on how to approach reading the play and seeing it perform.
Shakespeare fans will revel in the marvelous depiction of the Stratford-upon-Avon-born Bard himself! His drama book allows you to dive into famous works like Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream, and explore Shakespeare's sources and inspirations for each! Themes, plots, characters and language are brought to life with act-by-act plot summaries, resumes of main characters and in-depth analysis of Shakespeare's use of the English language.
Shakespeare: His Life and Works is a wonderful exploration of plays, poems and sonnets in the context of his life and the Elizabethan and Jacobean theatre, further enriching your experience on the page, stage or screen.