Unearth a treasure trove of geological knowledge with this in-depth guide to over 500 rocks and minerals
Learn how rocks are formed and how to recognize them by their unique qualities and colors. This is a wonderful book for beginners, students and rock collecting enthusiasts that includes the latest scientific research and specimen classification.
Handbook of Rocks and Minerals is filled with all you need to know about the fascinating world of rocks and minerals! Inside you'll find:
- A clear visual key distinguishes igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks, then guides the reader to the correct rock.
- Each entry includes at-a-glance technical details for quick reference.
- Minerals: chemical group and composition, hardness, specific gravity, crystal cleavage and fracture.
- Rocks: group, origin, pressure and temperature, grain size and shape, classification and fossils.
- Engaging photographs show close-ups of key details and unique attributes, and highlight distinguishing features.
- Each separate chemical group has a short introduction describing its general characteristics.
Dig deep and learn all about what lies beneath our feet
Delve into the unique characteristics, colors and attributes of more than 500 rocks and minerals with this compact visual guide. For easy classification, each specimen's entry includes annotated photographs to highlight distinguishing features and concise details about its texture, origin, formation and chemical composition.
Designed for beginners and experienced collectors alike, this geology book explores what rocks and minerals are, how they are classified, what equipment is needed for specimen collection, and even how to start and organize your own collection. Learn the differences between igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. It also includes a glossary for many more technical and scientific terms. It's the ideal gift for anyone interested in geology and earth sciences.
Got the learning bug? Try our other handbooks
The DK Handbook series is an incredible collection of titles that fascinate curious minds. Other books include Gemstones, Dinosaurs, and Prehistoric Life, and Stars and Planets.