This area offers everything from historic sights to stunning natural scenery.
Whether you want to take a ferry out to the infamous Alcatraz Island, weekend in the Wine Country or hike through the Muir woods, your DK Eyewitness travel guide makes sure you experience all that San Francisco and the Bay Area have to offer.
A city famed for its seven steep hills, San Francisco's peaks offer unparalleled views over its diverse neighbourhoods, from the historic houses of Alamo to the lantern-adorned alleys of Chinatown. In the surrounding Bay Area, visitors will find lush vineyards, picturesque towns and breathtaking natural wonders.
Our newly updated guide brings San Francisco and the Bay Area to life, transporting you there like no other travel guide does with expert-led insights and advice, detailed information on all the must-see sights, inspiring photography and our trademark illustrations.
- our pick of San Francisco and the Bay Area's must-sees, top experiences and hidden gems
- the best spots to eat, drink, shop and stay
- detailed maps and walks which make navigating the region easy
- easy-to-follow itineraries
- expert advice: get ready, get around and stay safe
- color-coded chapters to every part of San Francisco and the Bay Area
- our new lightweight format, so you can take it with you wherever you go
Want the best of San Francisco in your pocket? Try our DK Eyewitness Top 10 San Francisco. Seeing more of the state? Try our DK Eyewitness California.