A lemon drizzle cake is an all-time classic cake that is perfect for a summer afternoon party. Mary Berry’s Cookery Course guides you through how to make the most delicious lemon drizzle traybake.
Create this crunchy yet moist treat that is ideal for any occasion. This lemon drizzle traybake is a simple and tasty recipe for any baker to try.
225g (8oz) butter (room temperature) or vegetable spread (at least 70% fat), plus extra for greasing 225g (8oz) caster sugar
275g (9 1⁄2oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
4 tbsp milk
Grated zest of 2 lemons
For the glaze:
Juice of 2 lemons
175g (6oz) sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/350°F/Gas 4). Grease a traybake tin measuring 30 x 23cm (12 x 9in) and 4cm (1½in) deep and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, milk, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 1–2 minutes or with a wooden spoon for a little longer, until smooth.
3. Turn the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly. Use a spatula to smooth and scrape up all the mixture around the sides of the bowl.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes, or until risen and springy to the touch.
5. Run a knife around the edge of the traybake to loosen it from the tin, and then transfer to a wire rack.
6. Make the glaze: mix the lemon juice with the sugar and spoon over the warm cake.
Leave to cool then cut into 16 rectangular slices.
With over 100 recipes to choose from, you’re bound not to run out of ideas. Let Mary Berry’s Cookery Course lead you through to make classic recipes the Mary way.