With its snow-capped mountain ranges, rolling countryside and scenic coastline, Northern and Central Italy is the perfect location for a leisurely road trip. It's yours to explore with Back Roads Northern and Central Italy, which contains 25 amazing drives across the region, from the romantic hilltop towns of Tuscany and Umbria to the picturesque lakes of Lombardy and the Veneto.
Packed with insider tips and information, this easy-to-use guide reveals Northern and Central Italy at its best: spectacular sights, hidden gems and authentic local experiences.
Inside Back Roads Northern and Central Italy:
- 25 easy-to-follow driving tours, each lasting one to five days, including the stunning vistas of the Passo di Monte Giovo, Chianti vineyards of Tuscany and the olive groves on the shores of Lake Garda
- A laminated pull-out road map of Northern and Central Italy helps you navigate with ease
- Ideas for discovering the character of each area en route: great views, delightful detours along peaceful back roads, walks through historic towns and villages, wine tours and boat trips, and activities such as hiking, cycling and kayaking. Plus you'll savour the best local experiences with our pick of the most authentic places to stay, eat and shop
- All the Italian rules of the road, postcodes for use with satnav and detailed directions for easy navigation, information on road conditions and parking tips
- Covers Turin, Castello di Rivoli, Barbaresco, Cuneo, San Carlone, Varese, Como, Brunate, Bergamo, Erbusco, Arco, Gargnano, Salò, Mantua, Merano, Brunico, Bolzano, Alpe di Siusi, Laghi Fusine, Trieste, Verona, Venice, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Treviso, Ferrara, Ravenna, Genoa, Portovenere, Camogli, Riomaggiore, Fiesole, Anghiari, Ponte Buriano, Volpaia, San Miniato, San Galgano, Castiglione d'Orcia, San Casciano dei Bagni, Orvieto, Arezzo, Perugia, Arrone, Rieti to Lago di Corbara, Città di Castello, Jesi, Rimini, Fano, Loreto, Grottammare and more
Looking for even more inspiration for your trip to Italy? Try our DK Eyewitness Italy.