Explore the fascinating world of flags!
Find intriguing stories and factoids on the design of country, province, state and special flags. Read how these flags are used as heraldic symbols, cultural and national emblems, and how designs and meanings have evolved.
The perfect guide to vexillology for anyone interested in the origin, history, and symbolism of flags. Inside this flag book, you'll find:
- Highly detailed full-colour flag illustrations for each main entry
- Comprehensive text explaining the significant elements of their design, colours, symbols, and insignia.
- Beautifully illustrated introductory spreads that trace the history of banners, standards, and flags and explain the terms used to describe them
- Sections on signal flags and flag protocol, as well as a concise glossary of terms
- A flag identification guide and alphabetical flag directory to enable easy navigation
A wonderful gift for flag enthusiasts! This guide to flags helps you identify flags and understand their symbolism. Learn about how flag designs have evolved over centuries and decades and how to identify flags by their distinguishing features. This educational guide to flags details more than 400 examples and covers everything from geography, communications, politics, sport, history, and art.
Find out what makes the US stars and stripes so unique and the ancient medieval cantons of Switzerland noteworthy. Detailed notes and annotation reveal the origins, design development, and significance of colours, symbols, crests, and coats of arms and the reasons for recent changes to the flags.