From ancient dwellings to modern high-tech skyscrapers, discover everything there is to know about the history of architecture worldwide.
Covering over 6,000 years of human history, Architecture charts the most important developments in building materials, technology, design, and the social changes that have shaped the architectural landscape.
Explore every significant architectural period and style in depth through critical examples.
Take a tour of some of the world's most iconic buildings, beautifully illustrated with brilliant photography and specially commissioned CGI artworks.
Dive deep into the pages of this book about architecture to discover:
- An innovative approach to the story of architecture using iconic examples.
- Explores buildings throughout history and across the world.
- A combination of creative photography and specially commissioned CGI artworks to analyse every significant architectural style.
- Profiles of the latest developments in architectural practice, including "green" technology, such as living façades.
- Published in association with the Smithsonian Institution in the US
- Optional 56-page reference section profiles key architects and contains profiles of additional important buildings
Find out why so many ancient Roman structures have withstood the test of time. Learn how the soaring ceilings of Gothic cathedrals are held up. And discover the architectural innovations that are helping to combat climate change.
Architecture is the perfect book for anyone fascinated by the built world - its visual character and the factors that have formed it - and who wants to understand more.