Discover an intriguing mix of ancient and ultra modern.
Whether you want to experience the imperial splendour of the Forbidden City in Beijing, travel back in time with a visit to the Great Wall or explore quirky museums in Shanghai, your DK Eyewitness travel guide makes sure you experience all that these cities have to offer.
From ornate temples and palaces to hip cafés and bars, Beijing is a cosmopolitan metropolis teeming with things to see and do. Boasting eye-catching architecture and a blend of Eastern and Western cultures, futuristic Shanghai is equally as enticing as the capital.
Our newly updated guide brings Beijing and Shanghai to life, transporting you there like no other travel guide does with expert-led insights and advice, detailed information on all the must-see sights, inspiring photography, and our hand-drawn illustrations which place you inside the cities' iconic buildings and neighbourhoods.
- our pick of Beijing and Shanghai's must-sees, top experiences, and hidden gems
- the best spots to eat, drink, shop and stay
- detailed maps and walks which make navigating the country easy
- easy-to-follow itineraries
- expert advice: get ready, get around and stay safe
- colour-coded chapters to every part of Beijing and Shanghai
- our new lightweight format, so you can take it with you wherever you go.
Want the best of Beijing in your pocket? Try our DK Eyewitness Top 10 Beijing. Travelling around the country? Try our DK Eyewitness China.