With its iconic coastal highways, lush wine regions, and mammoth national parks, California is the perfect destination for an epic road trip. It's yours to explore with Back Roads California, which contains 24 amazing drives across the state, from the surfer-studded beaches of Big Sur to the towering redwoods of Yosemite National Park.
Packed with insider tips and information, this easy-to-use guide reveals California at its best: spectacular sights, hidden gems and authentic local experiences.
Inside Back Roads California:
- 24 easy-to-follow driving tours, each lasting one to five days, including the vineyards of Napa Valley, the crystal clear waters of Lake Tahoe, and the surreal salt flats of Badwater Basin in Death Valley National Park
- A laminated pull-out road map of California helps you navigate with ease
- Ideas for discovering the character of each area en route: great views, delightful detours along peaceful back roads, walks through historic towns and villages, wine tours and boat trips, and activities such as hiking, cycling and kayaking. Plus you'll savour the best local experiences with our pick of the most authentic places to stay, eat and shop
- All the US rules of the road, zip codes for use with satnav and detailed directions for easy navigation, information on road conditions and parking tips
- Covers San Francisco, Sacramento Delta, Marin County, Napa Valley, Russian River Valley, Sonoma Coast, Anderson Valley, Redwood National and State Parks, Cascade Mountains, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe, Sierra Nevada, Yosemite National Park, Kings Canyon National Parks, Owens Valley, Death Valley National Park, Mojave Desert, Palm Springs, Coachella Valley, Rim of the World Scenic Byway, San Diego, and more
Looking for even more inspiration for your trip to California? Try our DK Eyewitness California and DK Eyewitness San Francisco and the Bay Area.