Fall is here, and that means it’s getting colder outside, the leaves are changing colors, and, most important, it’s time for pumpkin-flavored everything! Take a bite out of fall with these easy-to-make ginger and pumpkin slices. These are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or a quick snack.
- 8 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup maple syrup or honey
- ⅔ cup dark molasses
- 9 oz pumpkin, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan with a pat of butter
- Line the pan with parchment paper
- Place the butter, sugar, maple syrup or honey, and molasses in a medium pot and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the grated pumpkin, flour, baking soda, and ginger. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the molasses mixture and beaten eggs until combined, then pour into the greased and lined pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 35–40 minutes, or until firm.
Once the cake has cooled, cut it into rectangles and enjoy! These also taste great the next day.
This recipe is taken from Complete Children’s Cookbook, an easy-to-follow book of recipes that features the basics of cooking and keeps everything clear and simple. With over 150 delicious recipes to make, from light bites to perfect pies, young chefs will be able to make, bake, and create some of their favorite meals.