The first how-to guide to help readers prepare for and conquer a new and growing form of distance racing popping up all over the country, written by bestselling fitness author James Villepigue.
Obstacle Race Training Bible provides readers with one-stop access to everything you need to know to prepare for and successfully complete a Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, or any of the other international or regional obstacle races that are taking the world by storm. All of these races combine running various distances and terrain with hard-core obstacles that are both physically and mentally challenging: climbing through pitch-black flooded tubes and over walls, carrying logs uphill, traversing monkey bars, crawling through mud and under barbed wire, leaping over burning hay bales, swimming in ice cold water, navigating through live wires, and more. This combination of running and obstacles is what gives participants a very different kind of challenge than they get with a 5K, marathon, or triathlon. It's a combination that also requires a very different approach to training and preparation, and that's what this book provides.
- Profiles of all the major races: running distance, obstacles involved, completion percentage, fitness level required, etc.
- Obstacle overviews, including photos of what they look like, the mental and physical challenges involved, and the most effective strategies for completing them
- Obstacle-specific exercises that condition participants for the strength, stamina, flexibility, and mental toughness needed to complete the obstacle
- 8-week training programs designed for complete novices, elite athletes, and everyone in between
- Important information on what to wear, nutrition during training, and race day strategies
Author: James Villepigue
Publication Date: 04 Dec 2012
Size: 203 x 254mm