Pilates is a fitness phenomenon that's been around for nearly 100 years and shows no signs of fading away. Through a series of strength and stretching exercises, it builds core body strength, improves posture, relieves pain, alleviates symptoms of serious chronic diseases, and has a positive impact on all of the vital systems-all while building a connection between the body and the mind.
Formal Pilates classes are enormously beneficial; however, they are also very expensive. Using The Complete Idiot's Guide® to Pilates on the Mat, readers can practice Pilates Mat exercises on their own-without all the expensive and intimidating equipment (aka "instruments of torture") found in the studio or gym. The book takes readers through the complete sequence of Pilates Mat exercises with photos and step-by-step instructions. Along the way, fitness expert Karon Karter gives readers:
- A Pilates primer-how and why the method works on every body, inside and out.
- Basics for better breathing and posture.
- Safe instruction for flexing toward your healthiest self.
- Expert advice on Pilates Mat exercises and using simple equipment, such as the Magic Circle.
- Poses and postures to increase range of motion, bone density, respiration, circulation, and muscle control.
- Exercises for toning muscles and melting fat, making the body look lean, healthy, and younger.
Author: Karon Karter
Publication Date: 07 Feb 2012
Size: 188 x 231mm